Yes you heard me right – this article explains how you can easily unlock the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3’s bootloader. You maybe wondering from when Xiaomi started to lock it’s bootloader. Xiaomi recently announced that the Redmi Note 3, the Mi4c and Mi Note Pro would all come with locked bootloaders, this was done to deter the many fake Xiaomi phones that have started to appear in the market with Mi Roms – many of these Roms are found to have malware inbuild too.
So what happens when you have a locked bootloader and how it’s different from the unlocked one. Once you upgrade to MIUI 6.1.14 or above, the following changes come into picture:
- You can update the device only using Recovery Mode and also only using the Mi PC Suite – no other options are available.
- On your Mi device, Root gets automatically disabled even if it was enabled before.
- Root can only be enabled if the bootloader is unlocked which is what this article is all about.
- Locked bootloader devices can not be updated using MiFlash. Users need to unlock the bootloader if they want to flash other Fastboot Roms.
- But the locked bootloader status in no way affects any of the OTA updates from Xiaomi.
Here are the simple steps to get the bootloader unlocked in an official manner for your Mi device – this manner will not void your warranty in any way.
Download the small file that is available on the website and follow the instructions below. Just note that you need a Windows PC for running this.
- Once you have the .exe downloaded and installed in your PC.
- On your phone – shutdown the phone. Once the phone is shut, hold the Volume down key and Power button for a few seconds so that your phone boots into Fastboot mode.
- Now connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable and hit the Unlock button on the app.